Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dedicated to the wizard in all of us......

Don Herbert
b. July 10, 1917
d. June 12, 2007


This one took a while to sink in. I needed some time to reflect. Back in 80's I remember various kitchen-science experiments occurring everyday in my house, after school. No, I never actually performed these myself. Back in the early days of the Nickelodeon Network, Mr. Wizard's World was a favorite of mine. He was much like Mr. Rogers, except he would be more about testing whether or not you could eat upside down (and thereby proving the peristaltic principle of your digestive tract) than in tying your shoes and singing ditties. Don Herbert was not really a scientist, but he did have was an infectious charisma towards finding out (together) and testing why things happen. The show was partly funded by the Tandy Corporation and showcased one of the first personal computers I had ever seen. This led to my dad purchasing my first personal computer; a Tandy 1000 EX. I want to move an imaginary turtle around on the screen by simply providing the coordinates in a hypothetical x,y plane, just like him. He is one of the major influences of my hands-on personality. His loss is felt in the collective consciousness. The experiment continues.......


0 comments:

Celebrity Sightings Mapped


View Celebrity Sightings in a larger map